I currently coach u13
1. How long have you been involved with Belfast Swifts, as a player or coach?
I brought my daughter, Abbie, to the clubs fun day in summer 2017 and she joined the club. I volunteered to help almost right away.
2. What made you get involved with coaching at Belfast Swifts?
I was taking my daughter to training and was always hanging about anyway so when I was asked to help out it was a no brainer really.
3. What is your ‘go to’ drill?
4. What drill do your girls love the most?
Probably the shooting drills, everybody is active, it’s fun working the ‘keepers, everyone loves scoring goals and there’s hardly any standing around.
5. What is your most used saying at training or matches?
At training I spend a lot of time keeping the girls on their toes so probably “no standing still”
Matches would be different. I try to encourage the girls to “believe in yourselves” “help each other” but before every match I find myself saying “it’s a game - have fun”
6. What is your favourite thing about coaching our girls?
The girls are great craic. I like to think I’ve built good relationships with all the girls I’ve coached and their patents. I would definitely class a lot of the parents now as friends.
7. What is the one thing you never leave the house without?
My daughter Abbie 😂. Definitely my shadow.
8. What four people (alive or dead) would you have round for dinner and why?
Read a lot of autobiographical football books during these lockdowns so based on those I’d say Sir Alex Ferguson, Bobby Robson, Jock Stein and Brian Clough. The stories/recollections in the books are brilliant but I’d like to hear the ones that weren’t fit for publication 😂
9. What is your favourite meal?
Spaghetti Bolognese, love it.
10. What is your biggest Phobia?
Weird one - horses. Kids rip the life out of me about it.
11. If you had a one-way ticket to go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Not really a one way ticket but I’ve a crazy retirement plan that involves going to as many major cities in the world as I can and going to their Derby game. Probably need a lottery win never mind retirement.
12. Who is your biggest hero/inspiration?
Might be soppy or cliched but definitely my wife and kids. Love them to bits and would be totally lost without them.